Friday, June 1, 2012

Birdy Baby


Some old friends of my hubby's had a baby recently and I made a couple of outfits for baby Alice. 
The first one was a bubble romper. I used this pattern:   Ruffled Baby Romper. This is an adorable pattern. I actually saw the pattern a while back and  loved it- I just needed to find me  a  baby to make it for! When Graham and Rowan popped up preggers, I  was very excited as  there was a baby that needed new outfits!  
I love to make baby clothes. Some of my sewing projects can get pretty large, like drapery panels or cushions and sometimes it is nice to just sit down and cut and sew little things. 
I made the 0-3 months size . It seemed so small to me when I finished it!  My baby is nine years old now,  I forget how tiny babies can be!  The bottom of the outfit is basically a bubble with a front bodice section and ties to go around the neck. It is fully lined. Easy peasy  and so cute. 
The fabric was chosen special  for baby Alice  with birds on it. Her mama is birdybooty so little birdys were a must! 

This is the front of the romper.

The back view.
There is nothin' cuter on a baby than a bum full of ruffles. 

I was worried that the little bubble romper might be too small so I made another outfit just in case! This outfit is 3-6 months. I have known some babies to wear this pinafore  for the first year or so as it is loose so this is a nice item to make for babies- they can wear it a while.
I  made a pinafore using this pattern:  Ruffled Pinafore and  a little pair of bloomers  to go under it.
The back of the pinafore is a big ruffle  with a bow and the bloomies are covered in ruffles. When  baby Alice  is wearing these, her whole back side will be  covered in fluff. I love covering little babies in ruffly fluff! 

The front.


The back. 


The pinafore with the bloomers underneath. 

The neck and arm edges were wrapped in  tiny double fold bias tape. 

The bloomers were made from this pattern: Ruffled Diaper Cover . I love this pattern. I have tested a bunch of baby diaper cover patterns and this one is the best.

Front



Back. 

I added little labels into each of the items saying what size it is.
I wish I had done this to my daughters stuff I made for her
because now  I have no idea what size some of it  is.  

The ruffles are all done the same way- I cut long strips of fabric and used the 1/8 rolled hem foot to hem the top and bottom edge. Then I ran two strips of basting  threads along the top edge and pulled those to create gathers.  It takes a while. It is easy to do, just time consuming.




The Fabrics:
In these photos the fabric looks kinda yellowish but in reality they are pure white.
This fabric is soooo cute! I love the little swirly birds. And the coordinating fabric is just as cute- the little feathered lines accent the birds perfectly.  I got it on Etsy- the seller seems to be out right now so I will link to them when I see they get more in. These fabrics were $9 a yard- pricey for cotton fabrics but worth it for the cute print! And two baby outfits for $20 isn't bad :) :)

Pink-A-Doodle - Flirty Birds


Pink-A-Doodle - Flirty Birds (6819-23) - Emma by Michele Scott - 1 Yard


Pink-A-Doodle - Leafy Vines


Pink-A-Doodle - Leafy Vines (6820-23) - Emma by Michele Scott - 1 Yard


I have two students pregnant and I just saw last night that one of my former students who moved away ( sniff sniff) is preggo with twins so  you will be seeing the bubble rompers and the bloomies again!
I am going to bug the new parents for a picture of baby Alice in her couture outfits. I will post 'em when I get 'em :)


Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment