Thursday, May 10, 2012

I can make anything- even beards!

Last week Eden had a school project  about famous explorers She had to pick one and write a  report, make a poster, and dress up like the explorer.
Eden chose Jacques Cartier.  She came home from school all raring to go  to get her costume together. She said some of the kids were complaining about having to come up with a costume but she was excited. She has realized that her mother is storing a lifetime of costumes and dresses and vintage who-knows-whats  in the closets and attic of this house. I did not have a beard however. My  collection is   lacking in the faux facial hair  area so I googled how to make one. 
How did we ever live without google? 



The beard is felt with ribbons sewn into the sides to tie around her head. It is the easiest thing to make in the entire world and so fast! It took 15 minutes! Just two pieces of felt, some ribbon. That's it.   I got the pattern and instructions here:
It is comfortable to wear and she loved it. 
The wig is mine, yes I used to wear it  :) ,  the cape is a 1970s faux fur  cape that I used to wear all the time. The shirt is the white shirt from her christmas  outfit,  and the fox is  to represent the fur trade. French explorer dude came to the new world looking for gold and fur.  The boots are her favorite Justice boots. 
We had planned the costume with a hat but at the last minute we left it off- she left it because it was hard for her to get the wig on  on her own much less get the hat to stay and I chickened out on sending my 1960's velvet and satin perfect condition Jackie O type  pillbox hat to school with a third grader.
 I just couldn't do it. 

Here is the man himself:


And here is his  likeness as done by a third grader.
 
This is her I am a serious explorer face. 

I can't really tell them apart! Can you?  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment