Friday, March 23, 2012

Kayla's Holiday Skirt

         Kayla made this skirt in December/ January.  We were trying to get it finished up for holiday parties but life intervened. It does that sometimes. Two  of my Saturday Girls -Nina and Kayla both made skirts.  I don't have  a picture of Nina in her skirt  for you but I will pester her until I get one :) !

           We used the First Skirt lesson, that everybody that takes lessons from me does if you want to  make clothing. I cover a lot  in that skirt lesson so when we do a pattern, it makes more sense!   We changed it up a bit : instead of using one width of 45 wide fabric, we used 2! 90 inches around! This skirt has an elastic   waist.  It also features an attached 'crinoline'. Organza  is cut to the same measurements as the skirt and then when the casing is sewn down at the top of the skirt, the crinoline is sewn into at the same time.  The crinoline is not itchy as it is just one tiny hem at the bottom. I put in the crinoline hem for the girls-  organza can be slippery but everything else was sewn by them!

      Kayla  is my girl for really taking a pattern and making it her own. I love it.  I present the idea and the plan and she takes it and runs with it. Some times I have to rein her back in just a tiny bit so that we have some chance of completing the item in this lifetime. :) :)   For this skirt she added pockets AND a ruffle at the bottom. And it looks awesome!

      The incredible  amount of  fabric ( 90 inches around! )  is pulled up by the elastic at the waist. This along with the crinoline gives the skirt a bit of pouf without  looking like a square dance costume. Perfect for middle school holiday parties!

      When Nina put in the elastic she was shaking her head at me.  She did not see how 90 inches was going to fit her little skinny mini waist. She was sure  it wasn't going to fit her and I had to tell her over and over told her to trust me, it will fit. When we got the elastic and I had her try it on she was so funny. Oh, it does fit!!

        Kayla did an amazing job at this skirt!  It took a bit of patience there at the end because each step took a while to complete.  Hemming  150 inches of ruffle takes a lot of patience!! Ruffling it and attaching  it takes even more! She hung in there and got it done.  


 Great Job Kayla!!! :) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment